Sunday, July 12, 2015
Here's a small project from the shop before it went into hibernation. It's pretty self-explanatory, so I'll let the pictures do the talking...
...oiled - it will darken in time and match better.
For me, there is something very satisfying in making old tools happy.
Thursday, June 18, 2015
Well, obviously the blog has been rather dormant of late. Shop time has slowed to a crawl as I approach the event horizon of my own personal black hole. We bought a new house and it only needed "a wee little bit of sprucing up..." Huh.
Anyway, just to prove that I have not completely disappeared, here's a couple of photos of a not-too-recent project. It's a box made of hemlock and cedar, and I really like how those two woods look together. It's on the large size (approx. 20"x20"x12") and I tried to keep it simple and clean.
A detail shot of the spinner:
Both the cedar and the hemlock are quartersawn, and I like the look of the parallel grain - it adds to the "cleanness" in my opinion.
And of course, it opens...
More posts as I get the chance - soon I hope, although the shop is sitting in a storage unit waiting for its new home. Don't worry, it's okay, I had it cryogenically frozen like Walt Disney...
More on that another time.
Sunday, March 16, 2014
I love the ingenious creations that can result from having limited resources (tools, materials etc.). Here's a prime example. It was made by a miner at Independence Mine (gold) in Alaska from an old dynamite box. It probably dates to the late 1930s or early 40s.
So cool! Now I just need to find a dynamite box...
Sunday, February 23, 2014
So I thought I'd take a short break from posting...and just nine months later I'm back!
Funny how life is sometimes...
Anyway, here's something that was created during that time - a treasure box for my daughter's birthday. I used poplar; I can't remember why, but it was nice to work with.
Clara told me it had to be "red, with purple corners". I mixed up some milk paint, and interpreted those instructions loosely...
...but she didn't care! Joy!
And in use.
Of course, now the boy wants one too...
Labels: Milk Paint, Projects, Short Breaks Becoming Super Long Breaks Because I Have No Time Reality
Thursday, June 27, 2013
Okay, so this tool of the month isn't exactly a woodworking tool. It was made for "linemen", and as such was designed for cutting and twisting wires. But it's still plenty useful around the shop, but its function is not the reason I picked it for Tool of the Month - its form is.
The instant I picked it up, my hand said "quality!". Then my eyes agreed. There is just something about the way this tool feels in the hand and appeals to the eye that I find pretty darn satisfying. I find myself picking it up just to handle it and feel the way it sits in my hands. A little silly, I know, but it's not an accident, someone made it that way and it's an uncommon thing these days.
I guess I find it to be tool art - uncompromisingly functional, but incredibly appealing in its shape, texture and heft.
Anyway, here are the details as I know them:
Model: 1831-8 8" Lineman's Pliers
Year: 1924- '40's?
I think the condition of these pliers, after almost 100 years, is a testament to their quality. I also love the art deco grips. Kraeuter called these the "Don't Slip" pattern and began using it in 1914. Here is the patent on that design.
There is something incredibly pleasing, at least to me, about a tool that was created with pride, by a company that cared not only about how a tool performed, but how it felt and looked. It doesn't seem like there are many tools being made this way anymore - which is sad.
Monday, June 17, 2013
Wednesday, June 12, 2013
So I get almost all my wood at the BORG. The overall quality is low, but the thing is you can dig to your hearts content. With a little patience I can find almost perfectly clear stock, even quartersawn, but I can't count on it, so I tend to buy it when I find it and save it.
This particular story is different though. I didn't dig up this board, rather no one else wanted it. It was almost the last board left in the 1x12 stack when I got there, and as soon as I saw it, I had to get it. It looked so lonely! So it's been waiting in the shop for almost a year, and a few days ago I decided to build a box, or maybe I should say another box because I do seem to make a lot of them. Anyway, it was time for the ugly duckling board to shine! (Jazz hands!)
This box is a cross between my pencil box and the box I made to hold flutes (which apparently would also be cool for holding vinyl... although I don't know about that). If you want to see how I made this box, just check out those two posts.
Here is the finished box before oiling:
And here is why we oil wood - KA-POW!:
The other end:
And a few detail shots:
Man, I wish there had been two of those boards!